Monday, August 13, 2007

Writer's block sucks

Especially when it forces one to come up with a title like that. How banal.

I've got a deadline I have to meet on Friday for a piece for a little bi-monthly I write for. Tomorrow I've got work to do, Wednesday I may be out adopting a dog (that's right), Thursday and Friday I'll be swamped at the office. Today's gotta be the day I write these bloody 800 words. I can't think of any ideas for the piece, so I figured I'd try to work the kinks out here. It's generally supposed to be Poland-based. Preferably humorous. You'd think there would be plenty of material.

But there's not. After living in Poland for 6 years, it seems little surprises me. The little quirks that Polish society has, I've long gotten over. I mean, they still tick me off, but I've gotten used to them. I often wish I could see the world the way fellow p3'er Becca does - to be able to see a story in just about everything.

I'm amused by the experiences of a new colleague at work. 22 and fresh from Britain, life in Poland has hit him hard. The pay is far lower and the bureaucracy far heftier. Though he's from the European Union he still has to get a work permit (or perhaps "permission slip" is more accurate - I've been told that it is somewhat easier to get). He's amazed at how much the girls love the fact that he's a foreigner and doesn't speak Polish, and that they actually give him their REAL NUMBERS when he asks for them at a bar or disco.

He's curious about every aspect of life here, so much so that I often find I don't know the answer to his questions - I had long ago stopped asking them myself and accepted the unknowns as a fact of life.

And now I think I have my topic. The seasoned expat's view on the neophyte, and the neophyte's view of Poland - there ought to be something amusing in that.

But still I find myself lost for words. What exactly were the quirks that got him so riled? Humor is in the specifics. Tomorrow I'll see him. I'll ask him. Maybe I can write out a skeleton this evening, and fill in the details tomorrow.

Every day it seems the symptoms of writer's block manifest themselves - I'm endlessly trying to find the right words. This is why my blogging has slowed to a crawl. I'm too lazy to expend all of that effort. It's been so long now that I feel like I've always had it. Was that me who used to blog every day?

But now I've blogged and come up with an idea. So maybe things are changing. I'd love to be able to write every day again - it feels like the block has been there for ages.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home